Weekly study2 hours
How to Address Global Challenges Through Multidisciplinary Research
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Develop your research skills with a multidisciplinary approach
Due to their complexity, global challenges call into question the effectiveness of single-discipline research methods. Instead, a collaboration between disciplines, communities, practitioners, and researchers could help better achieve sustainable solutions.
On this four-week course, you’ll explore the value of using multidisciplinary research to address global challenges. You’ll discover practical approaches as you unpack the benefits and challenges of multidisciplinary research.
Exploring case studies from the UK GCRF BRECcIA project, and focussing on food and water security in sub-Saharan Africa, you’ll gain insights of co-opting ideas and methods from various disciplines.
Turn research methods into action to address global challenges
Throughout the course, you’ll learn how to put your knowledge into practice to help address pressing global issues.
You’ll discover researcher tips to use in implementing transformative multidisciplinary research and learn to integrate multidisciplinary components into your work.
Explore ethical principles in research and stakeholder engagement
To ensure a collaborative approach in your multidisciplinary research, you’ll explore the ethical principles of working with local communities and other stakeholders.
You’ll learn how to promote stakeholder engagement as you discover techniques for applying ethical research principles in multidisciplinary and multicultural research projects.
Learn from the experts at the University of Southampton
Guided by the University of Southampton and collaborating institutions in Ghana, Kenya and Malawi, you’ll finish the course with a sound understanding of multidisciplinary research initiatives. You’ll also have the skills to contribute to sustainable, multi-level policy for addressing global challenges.
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the value of multidisciplinary perspectives and methodologies to understanding global challenges and establishing viable, long-term solutions
- Identify collaboration strategies for working effectively in a multidisciplinary team, and engaging with stakeholders and communities who are the main beneficiaries of research findings
- Apply multidisciplinary components into your own research on global challenges
- Discuss the challenges and opportunities of working in multidisciplinary teams
- Develop an understanding of how to engage stakeholders in multidisciplinary projects
- Reflect on how to put research into practice in communicating key findings to diverse audiences
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested or engaged in multidisciplinary work and working with local communities on sustainability issues.
It will be most useful for students at a graduate level or researchers looking to upskill.