Weekly study2 hours
How to Pass IELTS: Writing
Learn the skills to pass the written tasks in the IELTS exam
If you’re looking to study in, work in, or migrate to countries where English is the native language (such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, or the USA), then you’ll likely need to take the IELTS exam. Each year over three million people take the IELTS test.
On this four-week course from Sentinel|9, you’ll explore each task type in the writing section of the IELTS exam and gain the skills and knowledge to achieve a band 9 from your test.
Explore the structure of the IELTS test
Grading for IELTS writing is broken into band descriptors with four types of descriptors: task achievement, coherence and cohesion, lexical resource, and grammatical range and accuracy.
This course will guide you through each of these descriptors, what they mean, and what is expected from the test to reach a band 9 standard.
Build your letter writing skills for both formal and informal letters
One possibility for an IELTS writing task is to write a letter, so you need to be prepared.
You’ll explore formal and informal letter writing and the differences in language between the two. You’ll then learn about the structure of a letter, before examining a sample letter to reinforce the top level of letter writing required for IELTS.
Develop your essay writing skills and learn the optimal essay structure
There are many types of essay, each with their own purpose, structure, and language requirements. You’ll assess each type, from the structure to the style, and learn how to write them.
You’ll also delve into the numerous types of charts that you may be asked to write about, how you might analyse them for your writing, and how to write reports on the data.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Create a report or essay for IELTS tasks 1 & 2 with a high band score
- Create an essay (description, reports, discussion, argument, opinion)
- Create a descriptive report
- Produce a written argument on a given topic and to organize your answer
- Produce a summary of a particular graph (bar, line or pie graph), table, chart, process, and map
- Describe and compare data, identify significant trends in information, describe a process and describe a map
- Produce convincing essays with descriptive academic vocabulary
- Assess charts and graphs to create a well-organized and logical report
- Explore to find reasons for your answers
- Practice complex sentences
- Improve your English skills
- Perform the test with confidence
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone looking to improve their chances of passing the writing section of the IELTS exam.
Who developed the course?
Sentinel|9 is an education content provider. They provide university-level content independently to offer a different pace of learning for individuals and institutions. They have a dynamic content library and Learning Management System (LMS) which is suitable for online, blended and face-to-face delivery.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.