Explore the fundamentals of humanitarian action
A timely and efficient humanitarian response can save lives during emergencies and disasters. A good knowledge of emergency preparedness and disaster management is vital, not only for saving lives but for building a career in the humanitarian sector.
On this course, you will explore theoretical and practical perspectives of humanitarian response. Examining the wider humanitarian context and the disaster management cycle, you will develop the knowledge and specialist skills required for working in humanitarian crises.
What topics will you cover?
- The humanitarian origin in the Red Cross movement
- The Geneva Convention, Hague Conventions and the UDHR
- Ethics of humanitarian work
- Key concepts/terminology for humanitarian operations – NGOs, agencies
- Humanitarian space
- The landscape of the main actors in humanitarian response
- Anticipation and disaster assessments: types of assessments, the purpose of assessments and assessing capacities, rapid assessments and considerations
- Cluster systems
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the historical background and contextual issues that inform humanitarian approaches
- Explore the theoretical underpinning that shapes many humanitarian relief operations
- Explore the key principles and values that underpin responses to emergencies and humanitarian action
- Evaluate the impact of a range of humanitarian relief responses on the experiences of disaster-affected populations
Who is the course for?
This course is for individuals working in the humanitarian sector who need to refresh their knowledge and individuals looking to work in the humanitarian sector. It will also be useful for those who manage and evaluate services within the humanitarian sector.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
This course is part of the program Humanitarian Principles, Preparedness and Response, which is one of the building blocks that leads to a degree in MSc Disaster Management and Resilience.