- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $59
What Does It Mean to Be Human? An Introduction to the Humanities
Explore what it means to be human and how we make sense of the world
What does it mean to be human? How do we acquire knowledge? How do we make sense of the world around us?
Through this course you’ll develop the skills and knowledge to start answering these big questions. You will consider the complexity of today’s world and engage in debates on the big ideas underpinning humanities subjects.
You will also develop the foundational skills required in the study of the humanities, including evidence-based problem solving, and intercultural awareness.
- Critical and ethical thinking
- How knowledge is shared through writing
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate introductory knowledge of the humanities disciplines, including developing understandings of how humans communicate and acquire knowledge.
- Report local and global problems and ideas, and recognise how different academic disciplines can interact to produce new understandings or findings.
- Compare foundational scholarly research using digital platforms, and find appropriate resources to answer the problem in its context.
- Apply core academic reading and writing skills to communicate research outcomes.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in the humanities, or answering questions about being human. You don’t need any previous experience.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
- LocationNewcastle, Australia
- World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #UniNewcastle to talk about this course on social media.