- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- Digital upgradeFree
Ideas for a Better World: Leading Change Through Policymaking
Become a leader and start making a difference in the world through policymaking
Policy change can affect billions of lives. What if you could create policies to enhance societies, transform lives and change the impact we have on the world? On this course you will build knowledge and awareness about policymaking and leadership.
You will learn from global policy experts and hear innovative perspectives from policy leaders creating change all around the world. Listen to guest speakers from the United Nations, UK House of Lords, and The Elders, and learn to create your own policy action plan.
What topics will you cover?
Turning passion into policy
- What is policy?
- Who makes policy change?
- How to use passion and purpose
- Your role in making policy change
Learning from experts
- Hearing from experts, world leaders and young people who have made change in the world
Insight and evidence
- Evidence in policymaking
- How to use evidence
- Different kinds of evidence
- Policy creation processes
Collaborating and influencing
- Policy making tactics
- “Policy windows” and the best time to take action
- What are stakeholders?
- How to understand and influence others to make change
- Communication and influence
- How to define and communicate your “vision” for change
Creating your policy action plan
- Actions, tools and tactics to help you plan your policy
- How to achieve long-term impact
- Key things to consider as you are planning your path to change
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the passion which drives your ambition to shape policy change
- Reflect on how your policy idea ties in to your wider purpose
- Explore what policy is and how it can lead to change in wider society
- Assess the importance of different types of evidence in creating policy
- Identify who your stakeholders are and learn how to influence them effectively
- Develop your confidence and skills around policy leadership
- Design an action plan that will set your policy idea in motion
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people who see themselves as future leaders in the field of policymaking.
British Council are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLPolicyLeaders to talk about this course on social media.