Skip to 0 minutes and 0 seconds (upbeat music) <v ->This short course is designed to provide you</v> with an introduction to the technological and business fundamentals of the internet of things and how this can be applied to sustainability. The internet of things describes a network of objects that are connected to the internet and are able to collect and transfer data. This program will give you the ability to understand IOT as evident in the range of industries and different contexts. Smart cities, agriculture, transport, logistics, utilities, health, conservation, asset management, but just a few. By the end of this program, you’ll understand the potential and how you can realize the potential of a connected environment. (upbeat music)
Weekly study2 hours
Internet of Things (IoT) and Sustainability
Understand how IoT can address sustainability challenges
As our world becomes more and more connected, we use smart devices to overcome different obstacles in our day-to-day lives. But what happens when we turn IoT technology toward global-scale problems like sustainability?
On this two-week course, you’ll explore the fundamentals of the Internet of Things (IoT), and how we can use this technology to overcome different sustainability challenges that we face today.
Guided by the experts at The Mind Lab and Tech Futures Lab, you’ll delve into case studies to discover how IoT applications can lead to sustainable decision-making. Using examples from smart cities, transport, utilities, and more, you’ll identify the positive and negative implications of technology use in working towards a brighter future.
Delve into the fundamentals of IoT including data management
You’ll be introduced to the technological and business fundamentals of IoT including frameworks of strategy, business value, competitive environment, and user value proposition.
To help you understand how IoT can be utilised in your own contexts, you’ll apply your knowledge through a range of learning activities in a connected environments framework.
Discover how IoT is interfacing with other technologies including AI
Finally, you’ll explore how IoT is also teaming up with other technologies to further help address sustainability challenges.
You’ll explore artificial intelligence, machine learning, 5G, and more as well as examining a range of case studies in key industry contexts to see IoT solutions in action.
With this knowledge, you’ll be able to evaluate the role of IoT in working toward a sustainable future.
- Introduction to the technical dimensions of the Internet of Things (IoT) including hardware and software essentials and the role of technology platforms
- Introduction to the business dimensions of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the importance of market analysis, business strategy, value proposition, and data governance in planning, deploying, and operating IoT systems.
- Overview of the benefits of the Internet of Things (IoT) for tracking, measuring, and sensing to collect data that can inform decision-making toward more sustainable futures with reference to the New Zealand and International context.
- Evaluation and reflection of the role of IoT in addressing sustainability challenges in a range of case studies in key industry contexts.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of the Internet of Things (IoT), including technology, business strategy and data management.
- Evaluate and reflect on the relevance and potential of the Internet of Things (IoT) to contribute to initiatives addressing sustainability challenges.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who would like to find out more about IoT and the role this technology can play in addressing sustainability challenges.
This is an introductory course so you don’t need any prior knowledge of IoT or sustainability.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.