This course is part of the A Practical Guide to Budgeting ExpertTrack
Introduction to Business Budgeting
Gain a solid understanding of budgeting and learn key budgeting skills and techniques to take into the workplace.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Introduction to Business Budgeting
Understand the benefits of budgeting
Using a budget helps businesses make informed decisions. It gives you a greater understanding of your revenue and provides a plan for the future.
On this three-week course, you’ll delve into the benefits of budgeting as you explore why and how you should budget.
You’ll explore different approaches to budgeting, including top-down, bottom up, and periodic to understand which approach works best for your context.
Explore sources of information
To help you start to prepare a budget, it’s important to first know your sources of information.
You’ll learn which sources of information you’ll need to use in your budget as you explore the difference between data and information.
Delve into costing
You’ll gain an understanding of management accounting and costing, and how to use it in business.
This knowledge will help you categorise costs to ensure you know how to estimate all cost elements of work within your business.
Learn from the experts at Kaplan
Throughout the course, you’ll be guided by the finance specialists at Kaplan.
Learning from their expertise, you’ll finish the course with the knowledge and skills to start creating insightful and accurate budgets.
The benefits of budgeting
An overview of the topics you'll be covering this week.
Introduction to budgets
This activity looks at how organisations benefit from using budgets.
Participation in budget setting
The following steps will walk you through participation in budget setting.
Approaches to budgeting
The following steps will look at various different approaches to budgeting.
Sources of information
Do you know the difference between data and information? What does the term 'information' even mean? Over this next week, you'll explore both of these questions and more.
Sources of information
We all need information to make decisions. In this activity, we’ll look at where you can find information.
Big data refers to the fact that there are huge volumes of data, it changes all the time and there are lots of different places that data can come from. Here, we'll explain the principles of big data.
This week, we'll be exploring how costing fits within budgeting and accounting.
Using Costing in Business
Businesses need to understand their costs in a lot of detail. In this activity you will look at how we can classify and break down these costs in a range of different ways.
Behaviour of Costs
This activity is going to explain costs in detail and how they change or stay the same in line with activity.
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the seven benefits of budgeting for an organisation
- Summarise the need for data when budgeting
- Identify sources of information when budgeting
- Classify costs in different ways
- Produce a standard cost card
- Assess different approaches to budgeting
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who wants to learn more about budgeting within business.
It will be particularly useful for those considering a career change into an accountancy profession, or those who wish to know more about finance.
Who developed the course?
Kaplan UK is a leading international provider of educational and career services. Building on a rich heritage of more than 50 years of training accountants and financial professionals, Kaplan UK serves more than 48,000 students a year, both based in the UK and from overseas, who train for AAT, CIMA, ACCA and ICAEW qualifications.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: