Weekly study6 hours
Introduction to HACCP for Food Safety
Improve your food safety standards
In every country in the world, food safety is governed by regulations and standards. If a food service establishment does not comply with these standards, they are likely to be fined or closed either temporarily or permanently.
In this two-week Introduction to HACCP course from the International Culinary Studio, you’ll learn about food safety hazards using practical examples and activities to make sure you can effectively manage food safety.
Explore food hygiene and potential hazards
When food safety standards aren’t adhered to, it can cause severe illness and, in some cases, death. That’s why HACCP is used; a food safety management system that analyses and controls biological, chemical, and physical hazards.
You’ll learn about food poisoning and food hygiene, what they mean, and the practices and procedures in place to prevent illness from food.
Develop food safety policies
From raw material production, procurement, and handling, to manufacturing, distribution, and consumption of the finished product, HACCP is used to control hazards at each stage. So you need to have policies and processes in place to do this.
On this course, you’ll look at the key elements of a food safety policy and the reporting procedures for any problems that may occur. You’ll then explore how to apply HACCP to the food handling cycle.
Learn from the International Culinary Studio (ICS)
The ICS, accredited by the World Chefs’ Association, are committed to providing professional, excellent, technology-driven education to improve every aspect of the food industry.
On this HACCP course, the ICS will help you manage a safe food environment.
- What is food safety?
- Why does food safety matter?
- What is food poisoning?
- Food safety facts
- Causes of food poisoning.
- How does contamination occur?
- Main reasons for adopting high standards of food safety.
- What does this mean for you as a chef or food service operator.
- Workplace hygiene.
- Food handlers’ actions
- The 7 principles of HACCP
- HACCP practices
- Applying HACCP to the food handling cycle
- Food safety policy
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify critical food safety hazards
- Explain terms food poisoning, contamination, cross contamination
- Identify ways in which food becomes contaminated
- Explain the methods for managing food hygiene and safety
- Discuss the importance of good food hygiene and safety to the business, customers and employees
- Describe how to control food safety through the food cycle
- Discuss hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) practices and procedures
- Develop to a HACCP flow chart
- Describe the key elements of a food safety policy
- Develop a HACCP checklist
- Identify key food safety records
- Explain reporting procedures
- Explain the key aspects of food safety legislation
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for owners of businesses that handle food and want to improve their knowledge of food safety. Whether you have a catering company, restaurant, or cafe, this course will help you implement HACCP without having to use external consultants.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.