This course is part of the How to Create a Social Media Strategy ExpertTrack
Understanding Social Media Strategy
Discover how to create a social media strategy in this digital marketing course for social media managers.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Understanding Social Media Strategy
Discover how social media strategy can help your brand stand out from the crowd
Over the past decade, social media has come to play an increasingly central role in the digital marketing mix. With the last year forcing more of our lives online, getting your social media strategy right is more important than ever.
Designed by social media industry experts, this practical digital marketing course is aimed at social media managers looking to stand out in an increasingly crowded field.
Find out why social engagement is central to social media strategy
After exploring the foundations of creating a social media strategy, you’ll learn why social engagement is so important and why you should always keep your customers at the heart of your strategy. For inspiration, you’ll look at some brands that are getting their social media strategy right.
You’ll also learn how to set KPIs and how to use the SMART Objective Framework to set and meet your social media goals.
Social listening – what are people saying about your brand?
One of the objectives of any social media strategy is to get people talking about your brand. Social listening is the process of monitoring various social channels to assess if people are talking about your brand, and what they’re saying. You’ll discover the key components of a social listening strategy and which tools are available to help you listen to what people are saying about your brand.
Learn how to build a social media strategy
As well as looking at creating an overall plan, you’ll explore how to develop a social media strategy for different social platforms and for individual campaigns.
By the end of this four-week course, you’ll be ready to draw up and execute a social media strategy aligned with your brand, helping you to better engage with your customers.
What topics will you cover?
- Why is social media engagement important?
- Creating a customer-centric social media strategy
- Exemplary brands in social media
- Setting objectives and KPIs
- Choosing the right metrics to measure success
- Using the SMART Objective Framework
- Social media listening
- How to build a social listening strategy
- Components of a social listening strategy
- Tools for social listening
- Developing a social media strategy
- Developing a social media channel strategy
- Developing a social media campaign strategy
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe how to gain visibility on social media
- Explain the role of social media in people's lives
- Summarise the benefits of social media to an organisation
- Explore the opportunities that social listening creates
- Design your own SMART objectives
- Explain how social planning should be integrated with business strategy
- Assess which social channels to focus on
- Develop a framework for all social media activity and campaigns to work from
Who is the course for?
This digital marketing course is aimed at current or aspiring social media managers.
It is assumed learners will have created social content as part of a multichannel marketing campaign, and have a basic understanding of social media metrics.
Who will you learn with?
Writer, presenter, educator & speaker on technology & social media. More at https://willfrancis.com
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.