Skip to 0 minutes and 10 seconds Hello everyone. This class will cover the Korean alphabet “Hangeul” in a fun and easy way. First we’ll cover what kind of alphabet it is, who created it and the creation process. Next we’ll learn about the principles behind Hangeul’s character creation and its characteristics. Finally we’ll explore how to read and write in Hangeul. Shall we get started?
- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $59
The Korean Alphabet: An Introduction to Hangeul
Explore the Hanguel alphabet and start learning Korean
Hanguel, also spelt Hangul or Han’gŭl, is the alphabetic system used for writing the Korean language.
Known as Chosŏn muntcha in North Korea, it consists of 24 letters including 14 consonants and ten vowels.
The name combines the ancient Korean word han (‘great’), and geul (‘script’). The word han is used to refer to Korea in general, so the name also means ‘Korean script’.
This course is an introduction to the basics of Hanguel including the principles and systems of consonants and vowels, as well as an exploration of the creation and use of Hangeul in a wider historical context.
- Introduction and features of Hangeul
- Invention and Dissemination of Hangeul
- Principles of Hangeul
- How to use Hangeul
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore how Hangeul is different from the Roman alphabet, Japanese characters and other characters.
- Investigate the creation, dissemination and the historical context of Hangeul.
- Discuss the principles and systems of Hangeul consonants and vowels.
- Experiment reading signs or names in Hangeul and experiment with writing words in your language in Hangeul.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for students and teachers of Korean as well as anyone interested in Korean or alphabets from around the world.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: