This course is part of the Spanish 1: Spanish for Beginners ExpertTrack
Learn Spanish 1: Basics, meeting people and describing places
Improve your Spanish speaking skills as you learn vital phrases to help you confidently hold a conversation.
Weekly study5 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 2
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Learn Spanish 1: Basics, meeting people and describing places
Master Spanish for beginners
Being able to understand and use common Spanish words and phrases is the first step in mastering the language.
This four-week course will help you string together basic Spanish expressions to improve your language skills and help you communicate in Spanish-speaking countries.
You’ll learn from the experts at Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana to increase your knowledge of reading and writing the Spanish language as well as grammar and vocabulary.
By the end, you’ll have the opportunity to apply and demonstrate your skills with a short written piece and an oral presentation, graded by your peers.
Learn Spanish greetings to help introduce yourself with ease
You’ll explore and be able to recognise frequently used greetings in Spanish to ensure you can start any conversation the right way.
You’ll also learn how to discuss names, nationalities, professions, and family members as well as typical farewells to help you have full conversations in Spanish.
Increase your language skills to help you communicate in a Spanish speaking country
The course will also give you an opportunity to learn from the cultural diversity and richness of the Spanish-speaking world.
You’ll finish the course with a solid foundational knowledge of Spanish and be more confident in speaking, listening, and reading the language.
Important Information / Información importante
Important information related to facilitation in this course. Información importante con relación al acompañamiento docente den este curso.
ExpertTrack welcome / Bienvenida del ExpertTrack
This section is about how our ExpertTrack works / Esta sección trata de cómo funciona nuestro ExpertTrack.
¡Yo soy y tú eres!
Esta semana aprenderás expresiones para hablar sobre ti, y también algunos saludos y despedidas. This Week you will learn expressions when talking about you, and some greetings and farewells also.
¿Qué es y quién es?
This Week we are going to work on identifying people, places and objects / Esta semana vamos a trabajar la identificación de personas, lugares y objetos.
¡Esta es mi familia!
This Week we are going to work on useful expressions related to the family members and how to describe them / Esta semana vamos a trabajar con expresiones útiles relacionadas con los miembros de la familia y cómo describirlos.
Los objetos de la casa
This Week, we are going to work on describing people, places, and objects in the house / Esta semana vamos a trabajar en la descripción de personas, lugares y objetos de la casa.
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Recognize general aspects of Spanish
- Recognize frequently used greetings and farewells
- Recognize how to use the following grammar aspects: pronouns, the verb Ser and the verb Estar, articles, adjectives, nouns
- Recognize how to use the following vocabulary aspects: names, nationalities, family members, professions, home & office objects
- Describe oneself, one’s family members and other people
- Describe places and objects
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning Spanish.
You don’t need any prior experience as the course will start from the beginning and help you build a solid foundational knowledge of the language.
Who will you learn with?
Soy Jorge Estupiñán, profesor de español del Centro de Lenguas de la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana.
Who developed the course?
Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana
Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana (UPB), located in Medellín, Colombia, is a highly recognized institution not only in the city, but also in the country due to its high-quality accreditation awarded by the Colombian Ministry of Education.
UPB promotes integral development of human being as an ethical, social, rational, religious, artistic person, who gives a humanist sense of the environment through a process of continuous improvement.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn