- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Premium course$109
Listening and Presenting: Learning English for Academic Purposes
Find out how to listen and present effectively in English.
Being able to listen to others and present your own ideas effectively will help you to succeed at university. This online course helps you to develop these skills while studying in English. It shows you effective strategies for listening and note taking, to help you identify and record the key points in other people’s presentations. As part of this, you will improve your understanding of key academic language and specialist vocabulary.
You will bring everything you learn together, to create and practice delivering your own spoken presentation and receive detailed Educator feedback.
What topics will you cover?
- Key listening skills and strategies for academic purposes.
- Vocabulary learning strategies to expand your academic vocabulary.
- How to make effective notes.
- How to identify and analyse a lecture’s structure.
- What makes a good presentation.
- How to be confident in presenting to others.
- Skills for connecting with your target audience.
- Differentiating between fact and opinion.
- Find and evaluate information for your purposes.
- Plan and create your own presentation.
- Get detailed feedback from an Educator on your presentation.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop key strategies and skills while listening to lectures.
- Improve your understanding of key academic language and specialist vocabulary.
- Compare note-making systems and choose the appropriate one for your purposes.
- Identify and analyse a lecture's structure.
- Describe and differentiate between fact and opinion in academic presentations.
- Assess the key elements of a good presentation.
- Investigate vocabulary building strategies and develop your dictionary skills.
- Improve your confidence when presenting to other people.
- Evaluate the reliability of academic sources.
- Collect together a range of sources to use in your own presentation.
- Collaborate with other learners by engaging in peer-to-peer feedback.
- Demonstrate everything you've learned by planning, creating and delivering your own presentation as your assignment.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for students who want to study in English at university. We recommend an existing English language level of IELTS 5.5.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLlisteningpresenting to talk about this course on social media.