Weekly study3 hours
Maths Subject Knowledge: Proportion, Ratio and Scaling
Subject knowledge for teachers and educators without a maths background
Proportional reasoning and the use of ratios is required across different areas of the mathematics curriculum. It is essential to many areas of science and technology and is used in a range of situations in both life and work.
In this course we will explore different mathematical strategies to enable you to solve proportional reasoning problems. By participating in this course you will discover multiplicative reasoning strategies, links between ratio and proportion and the ability to scale things up and to scale things down.
- What is proportional (multiplicative) reasoning
- Scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method
- The definition and application of ratios
- How to use proportion reasoning when dealing with areas and volumes
- Proportional reasoning and ratio in applied science and technology contexts
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify problems that can be solved using proportional reasoning
- Solve problems of scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method
- Solve problems of ratio with two and three quantities
- Apply proportional reasoning to conversion and compound measure problems
- Apply proportional reasoning to scaling of area and volume
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically designed for secondary school teachers and educators who are not specialised in maths, but who are wanting to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding of the subject.
It’s particularly suitable for new teachers and those studying teaching as a profession. Primary school teachers may find this course useful to understand how the mathematics curriculum progresses further in secondary school.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.