- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $94
Maths Subject Knowledge: Proportion, Ratio and Scaling
Subject knowledge for teachers and educators without a maths background
Proportional reasoning and the use of ratios is required across different areas of the mathematics curriculum. It is essential to many areas of science and technology and is used in a range of situations in both life and work.
In this course we will explore different mathematical strategies to enable you to solve proportional reasoning problems. By participating in this course you will discover multiplicative reasoning strategies, links between ratio and proportion and the ability to scale things up and to scale things down.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify problems that can be solved using proportional reasoning
- Solve problems of scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method
- Solve problems of ratio with two and three quantities
- Apply proportional reasoning to conversion and compound measure problems
- Apply proportional reasoning to scaling of area and volume
Who is the course for?
This course is designed specifically for teachers and educators who do not have a specialism in maths, but wish to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding. This course is suitable for:
- New teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge
- Inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree
- Non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere.
- Teachers of science
- Teachers of technology, engineering and other related subjects
- Parents wishing to support their children
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.