Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Mental Skills Training for Sport and Health
Learn sports psychology to improve physical performance in yourself or others
We all experience changing levels of motivation, self-confidence, and anxiety depending on the situation we’re in.
On this course, you’ll discover exercise and sports psychology and consider its relevance to contemporary issues in sport, health and fitness.
You’ll trace the relationship between the brain and the body in sport and exercise as you explore three mental skills training techniques and their application.
Using psychological knowledge, scientific research, and applied case study examples, you’ll learn how these psychological training techniques enhance athletic performance.
On this course we will be covering three key mental skills training techniques:
- Mental practice including how the PETTLEP model can inform the delivery of motor imagery/action observation interventions.
- Self-talk, including the concepts of valence, overtness, motivational interpretation, and function.
- Goal setting, including the different SMART principles and types of goal.
For each skill, case studies from sport, exercise, and clinical settings will be used to illustrate to learners how each of these skills can be relevant in practical settings.
Learners will also have the opportunity to demonstrate and apply their knowledge of each mental skill training technique in a variety of tasks throughout the course.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain three core psychological attributes (motivation, confidence, anxiety) that influence exercise participation and sport performance.
- Describe three core Mental Skills Training techniques (imagery and action observation, self-talk, goal-setting) that are frequently used in sport and exercise psychology.
- Explore the relationship between Mental Skills Training and exercise participation/sports performance through the demonstration of applied case studies and scientific research.
- Discuss the application of Mental Skills Training techniques to different populations, including elite and recreational athletes, and clinical groups.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who engages in, or is interested in, sport and physical activity.
It will be of particular interest and use to current or aspiring sport and exercise psychology practitioners, sports coaches, students, and professionals.
This course can be used as professional development training for a number of different disciplines, including sport psychology, health psychology, cognitive psychology, sports coaching, and personal training.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.