Weekly study2 hours
Be Ready: Staying Safe During Disasters
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover what to do when disaster strikes
As extreme weather events continue to affect the lives of millions of people across the globe, it’s never been more important to know how to stay safe when disaster strikes.
On this course, you’ll find out about the key actions you can take to reduce the risks associated with disasters and extreme weather events.
You’ll learn how to create your own disaster kit, and develop a personal and family response plan, to use if an extreme event occurs.
You’ll get practical advice on preparing for, and responding to earthquakes, extreme temperatures, flooding, tsunamis, and hurricanes.
- Overview of the preparation of family emergency plans
- Preparation of emergency kits and the home to mitigate disasters.
- Overview of key actions to prepare and responds to earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, cold waves, heat waves and tropical cyclones.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Learners will be able to design and evaluate their family emergency plan.
- Learners will be able to create a personalised emergency kit appropriate to their needs.
- Learners will be able to identify risks and improve the disaster readiness of their homes.
- Learners will gain an understanding of actions to prepare and respond in the case of earthquakes.
- Learners will gain an understanding of actions to prepare and respond in the case of tsunamis.
- Learners will gain an understanding of actions to prepare and respond in the case of floods.
- Learners will gain an understanding of actions to prepare and respond in the case of cold and heat waves.
- Learners will gain an understanding of actions to prepare and respond in the case of tropical storms.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in disaster preparedness, but may be of particular interest to teachers, healthcare professionals, and those involved in risk assessment and risk reduction.