Taking Control of Your Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis
Explore joint disease with experts from the University of Melbourne
Osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis, affects over 500 million people worldwide.
This four-week course will give you an introduction to living with osteoarthritis. Examining practical methods of pain management, you’ll gain a full overview of the recommended treatments available.
Develop your knowledge of osteoarthritis and pain management
Whilst pain is the osteoarthritis symptom that interferes with people’s lives the most, how pain is experienced differs for everyone.
On this course, you’ll examine the symptoms of osteoarthritis and the factors that affect how pain is felt.
Developing an understanding of individual experiences of osteoarthritis, you’ll be able to discuss and share useful strategies for symptom management.
Examine healthy living techniques using physical activity and weight management
Exercise and weight management can dramatically improve quality of life for people with osteoarthritis.
Using current research, you’ll learn how weight loss and activity can reduce pain and help avoid or delay joint surgery.
You’ll learn a range of healthy eating and safe exercise techniques, helping you adjust your daily routines and improve your symptoms.
Investigate additional pain management strategies including hip and knee surgery
People with osteoarthritis are often referred for surgery before low-risk lifestyle treatments are fully explored.
You’ll learn about treatments available to manage osteoarthritis symptoms. You’ll examine medications, joint injections, and arthroscopic or joint replacement surgery.
By the end of this course, you’ll have a thorough understanding of osteoarthritis, as well pain management strategies. You’ll be able to develop a personal plan to manage your pain and discuss appropriate treatment with health professionals.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe what osteoarthritis is and how it is diagnosed
- Identify accurate and inaccurate information about osteoarthritis
- Identify what treatments are recommended for hip and knee osteoarthritis
- Describe the benefits of physical activity and exercise for people with hip and knee osteoarthritis
- Critique the different types of physical activity and exercise to see which might suit you
- Identify a range of factors that contribute to weight and the benefits of even a small amount of weight loss for joint symptoms
- Compare the benefits and risks of medications and surgical treatments for people with osteoarthritis
- Create a plan for how you will manage your osteoarthritis, based on what you have learnt from this course
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people with persistent hip or knee joint pain or arthritis. It is also beneficial for family members of people with persistent joint pain who wish to provide more support.
Health professionals should refer to our Physiotherapy Exercise and Physical Activity for Knee Osteoarthritis (PEAK) course.
Who developed the course?
World rankingTop 40Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.