Weekly study1 hour
Teaching Students Who Have Suffered Complex Trauma
Learn how to support students who have experienced complex trauma
Complex trauma affects the physical, emotional and social development of children and adolescents.
In order to minimise harm, teachers and school leaders need to respond appropriately using trauma-informed practices and policies.
In this course, you’ll get an introduction to what complex trauma is and how it affects young people’s development at school.
You’ll understand the neuroscience behind the behaviours presented by students who have experienced complex trauma.
You’ll learn how to apply trauma-informed strategies and policies that will minimise the risk to students and school staff.
- Attachment and trauma theories
- The neuroscience behind the behaviours presented by students who have experienced complex trauma
- The impact on those who support students who have experienced complex trauma
- Strategies for minimising the risk to students in classrooms and schools
- The importance of applying trauma-informed practice and programs in schools
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe what complex trauma is and how it affects children’s and adolescents’ development
- Describe the neurobiological impact of complex trauma on children’s and adolescents’ behaviours at school
- Identify trauma-informed practices that could minimise risk to school students who have experienced complex trauma
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teaching staff and education leaders who want to improve their professional practice. It may also be of interest to health and social care workers.
For Australian educators, this course aligns with the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST):
• 1.1, 1.2, 1.5
• 3.3, 3.5
• 4.1, 4.3, 4.4
Who developed the course?
World rankingTop 180Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.