Explore new trends in battery production, and the role sustainable batteries could play in the transition to a greener future.
Weekly study2 hours
Battery Manufacturing: Trends in Battery Engineering
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand the current trends and challenges in battery engineering
On this course, you’ll learn how sustainable batteries can play a vital role in a green economy.
The European Commission’s ‘A Clean Planet for all’ sets out a vision of a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. New advances in battery technology can make this a reality, and make battery engineering an exciting career path.
Learn about the importance of batteries for clean energy
Batteries are vital for a sustainable future because of the key part they play in stabilising the power grid and in powering electric vehicles.
You’ll learn exactly what the current trends in battery manufacturing are, and the different ways new batteries and storage technologies can aid clean energy in Europe’s automotive sector and beyond.
Explore new Li-ion battery technology trends
You’ll learn about cutting-edge Li-ion battery electrodes, and the new ways they could be applied in energy and industry.
You’ll also get an overview of the latest processes in cell manufacturing.
Examine recent safety issues in battery production and recycling
Battery recycling is a key component of sustainable battery engineering. You’ll identify how recycling can help secure sustainable materials for battery production.
You’ll also learn the latest in recycling technologies for Li-ion batteries, and ultimately be able to describe thermal runaway and important battery safety issues.
What topics will you cover?
- Batteries for Electric Vehicles
- Battery Storage Technologies
- Battery Lifecycle
- Recycling of Batteries
- Special Processes and Equipment
- Safety Issues
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain current trends in battery manufacturing.
- Describe the manufacturing process of a battery cell.
- Describe battery safety issues (Short-circuit, Thermal runway and Thermal Propagation).
- Explore different applications of batteries.
- Describe several technical characteristics of Storage Technologies.
- Describe the basic functioning of lithium-ion batteries, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of flow batteries, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of supercapacitors, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of lead acid batteries, their pros and cons.
- Identify the advantages of Li-ion batteries for Electric Vehicles.
- Explain pros and cons of the electrodes used in Li-ion batteries.
- Describe EV Battery Sustainability – Importance of Resource Extraction and Second-life.
- Explain recycling technologies for Lithium-ion batteries.
- Summarize General Concept of Life Cycle Assessment.
- Identify CO2e hot spots in battery production.
Who is the course for?
This course is for university students and young professionals, and would especially appeal to students studying engineering or professionals orientated to the manufacturing sector.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.