Find out how petitions to the UK Parliament work.
This course explores the role of petitions to the UK Parliament.
Find out how petitioning the UK Parliament works, the possible impacts and outcomes petitions can have and the range of themes and issues people petitioned Parliament about in 2015-17.
Discuss what makes a petition successful, gain a greater understanding of the role of the Petitions Select Committee and explore case studies of petitions both historical and contemporary that have achieved change.
This course is launched as part of a programme of events for UK Parliament Week 2017.
- An overview of how petitions to the UK Parliament work
- An introduction to the role and work of the Petitions Select Committee
- Paper petitions and how they are presented in the House of Commons Chamber
- Key milestones for e-petitions, including receiving a Government response and triggering a parliamentary debate
- An overview of themes and issues people petitioned about between 2015-2017
- Historical petitioning and how people used petitions as a form of political participation
- Contemporary petitions – What can they achieve? What constitutes success?
- Beyond petitioning, getting your voice heard in Parliament.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your understanding of how petitions to the UK Parliament work, including what happens when a petition achieves specified milestones
- Explore the work of the Petitions Select Committee and gain a greater understanding of their role in the petitioning process
- Discuss the potential outcomes petitions can achieve and reflect on petitioning as a form of political participation
- Reflect on how petitions have effected change through discussing historical and contemporary case studies
Who is the course for?
This course is open to anyone with an interest in how the UK Parliament works and how they can get involved.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLUKParliamentPetitions to talk about this course on social media.