Discover the importance of select committees for the UK Parliament
On this course you will explore a vital element of UK Parliament: select committees - groups of people who monitor the work of the government and investigate specific subjects in depth.
You’ll explore how select committees have evolved and how members are selected today. By examining case studies, you will gain an understanding of select committee process, learn how written evidence is gathered and consider what it’s like to be a witness. You will also discuss the influence select committees can have on policy making and reflect on factors that may affect the impact of their recommendations.
What topics will you cover?
- An overview of the work and role of select committees work in the House of Commons and the House of Lords.
- The focus of select committees inquiries in each House.
- Cross-party membership of select committees, including the process for selecting chairs and members.
- How select committees have evolved and changed over time.
- How select committee inquiries work, the different steps in the process.
- A greater understanding of the potential impact of select committee reports and recommendations.
- How members of the public can engage with select committees.
Upgrade - $59
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSelectCommittees to talk about this course on social media.