- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Understanding Food Labels
Get the facts you need to put your trust in the food system
Huge amounts of information are provided on food product labels, but surveys have shown that we’re often unsure of its meaning.
On this course, you’ll learn how to make sense of the regulations, data, and logos on packaging so that you can make more informed food choices.
You’ll become more aware of what’s in the food you’re buying, the reference intakes for different people, and the nutritional value and environmental sustainability of different foods.
You’ll also gain a better understanding of food labelling regulations, as well as the claims food producers are allowed to make.
• How to navigate a typical food label - become familiar with the categories of information labels contain and why they are important.
• The limitations of food labels - what they don’t tell you.
• Decoding ingredients lists and discovering your recommended daily allowances.
• Differentiating between trustworthy health claims and those inspired by marketeers.
• How to resist the power of branding and gather reliable information to base your buying decisions on.
• The complexities of labelling food according to production values such as sustainability and animal welfare.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret a typical food label - be familiar with the categories of information labels contain and why they are important.
- Explore ingredients lists and discover your recommended daily allowances.
- Compare trustworthy health claims and those inspired by marketeers.
- Collect reliable information to base your buying decisions on.
- Assess the complexities of labelling food according to production values such as sustainability and animal welfare.
- Reflect on the limitations of food labels - what they don't tell you.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who makes food purchasing choices and wants to learn more about what goes into their food, the health benefits of what they eat and the sustainability of how it’s produced.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.