- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study6 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 2
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Gain an expert view of how politics works
This introductory four-week course will equip you with the basic knowledge and understanding you need for further education in political science. By the end, you’ll have an understanding of the role of governments, regimes and the state, an introduction to political ideologies, and recommendations for further reading.
Discover different electoral systems and political models
You’ll gain an understanding of the different political models, including models of democracy around the world, and the models of political economy. These will offer you a critical lens for viewing political arguments, statements, and the world around you.
Build your understanding of politics
Prepare for further study of politics by learning about identity and class politics, how they relate to ideologies, and political power. You’ll be introduced to key concepts across conservatism, socialism, and feminism, and look at differences and debates within them.
At the end of the course, you’ll have a basic understanding of politics and a familiarity with key texts, historical context and ongoing debates.
- The study of politics
- Political models and theories
- Politics and power
- Political systems and the State
- Political ideologies
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the different modes of the study of politics
- Identify the importance of models and theoretical frameworks
- Investigate Heywood's typology of political models
- Assess a number of ways in which power operates in politics
- Assess the logic of comparative politics
- Assess a range of approaches to forming and classifying political systems
- Explain some of the characteristics of the state
- Evaluate the merits of different ideologies
Who is the course for?
This course is for students who have excellent high school or partial A-level equivalent qualifications, but haven’t completed a suitable qualification or grades that allow them to apply for direct entry to a UK university.
This course gives prospective students a flavour of studying politics at degree level, and is also ideal for mature students returning to study.
Prepare for further study of politics at degree level, with an introduction to political philosophy, democracy and ideology.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends