Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Understanding the Impact of Stigma on Addiction Treatment
Learn how to provide patient-centred care
Stigma negatively affects access to care and the quality of treatment received by patients with a substance use disorder (SUD).
On this two-week course, you’ll explore the stigma surrounding addiction and how our society affects public perception through its approach to the disease.
You’ll then learn how to reduce stigma and provide individualised, patient-centred care by viewing SUD through the lens of other chronic relapsing illnesses.
As a healthcare provider in addiction medicine, you have a responsibility to educate yourself and others about the science of evidence-based treatment for SUD. This knowledge will help you foster appropriate attitudes and a sense of professional commitment to treating patients with SUD.
Explore how stigmatising language affects those with SUD
You’ll learn how to identify common stigmatising language, and how these words can negatively influence a healthcare providers’ perception of those with a substance use disorder.
You’ll also explore the impact of this stigma on the patients with SUD, especially as a deterrent to seeking or continuing treatment.
Learn to foster appropriate attitudes with the American Society of Addiction Medicine
With a solid understanding of the impact of stigma, you’ll learn how to eliminate stigmatising language and begin to foster more positive attitudes towards treating SUD.
Learning from the experts at The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), you’ll have a deeper understanding of how to provide better quality care for patients with addiction.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate understanding of the definition of stigma and its effect on the treatment of patients with substance use disorder.
- Explore treatment inequities among marginalized groups.
- Discuss the types of stigma and how they interact with one another to impact patient treatment.
- Identify examples of commonly used language that is stigmatizing to patients seeking treatment.
- Explore ways to eliminate stigmatizing language in your practice or clinical setting.
- Demonstrate understanding of how to incorporate person-first language into your practice or clinical setting.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who treat patients with addiction.
It is best suited for those who are new to addiction medicine, such as primary care physicians, clinicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and behavioral health specialists.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends