Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 6
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Understanding User Needs
Explore how to better meet user needs through data-driven user-centred design
To design an effective product or system, it is vital to understand the specific needs and abilities of the people using it.
On this UX research course, you’ll develop your ability to interact with your users by understanding what they need, what they don’t need, as well as their likes, and dislikes.
Discover a user-centred design approach
Led by experts in UX design at the University of Michigan, you’ll discover practical techniques for better understanding your user, including user needs assessments and qualitative research methodology.
As you consider how human behaviour relates to UX design, you’ll identify the value of qualitative UX research for understanding user needs.
Learn how to conduct effective UX interviews
Alongside a global group of learners, you’ll discover various data gathering techniques for learning more about your user, including UX interview questions, protocol, and technique.
You’ll learn best practice approaches for conducting effective UX interviews and in-situ user observations, as well as how to use affinity diagramming to analyse your findings.
Implement data-driven UX design
As you learn how to extract data from research, interviews, and observations of your users, you’ll develop your ability to translate these learnings into your UX design practice.
By the end of this course, you’ll understand not only how to extract data from your users, but also how to use this data to meet user needs through data-driven UX.
- Introduction and Qualitative Research Overview
- Interview Protocols
- Interviews, Observation, and Data Extraction
- Affinity Walls and Analysis
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what user needs assessments are, what qualitative research is, and how the two are related.
- Describe an end-to-end methodology for qualitative research that is suited for understanding user needs.
- Explore semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls.
- Develop experience with semi-structured interviews, in-situ observations, and affinity walls.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone looking to gain experience in UX principles, techniques, and processes, but specifically in the area of UX research and interviews.
Who developed the course?
As the #1 public research university in the United States, U-M has been a leader in research, learning, and teaching for more than 200 years, with 102 Grad programs in the top 10 — U.S. News & World Report (2019).
LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends