- Duration5 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $79
Understanding User Needs
Learn how to better meet user needs through data-driven user-centred design
To design a product or system which is effective, it is vital to understand the specific needs and abilities of the people using them.
This UX training course will develop your ability to interact with your users by understanding what they need, what they don’t need, as well their likes, and dislikes.
Discover a user-centred design approach
Led by experts in UX design at the University of Michigan, you’ll discover practical techniques for better understanding your user, including user needs assessments and qualitative research methodology.
As you consider how human behaviour relates to UX design you’ll identify the value of qualitative UX research for understanding user needs.
Learn how to conduct effective UX interviews
Alongside a global group of learners, you’ll discover various data gathering techniques for learning more about your user, including UX interview questions, protocol, and technique.
You’ll learn best practice approaches for conducting effective UX interviews and in-situ user observations, as well as how to use affinity diagramming to analyse your findings.
Implement data-driven UX design
As you learn how to extract data from research, interviews, and observations of your users, you’ll develop your ability to translate these learnings into your UX design practice.
By the end of the course, you’ll understand not only how to extract data from your users, but also how to use this data to meet user needs through data-driven UX.
- Introduction and Qualitative Research Overview
- Interview Protocols
- Interviews, Observation, and Data Extraction
- Affinity Walls and Analysis
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what user needs assessments are, what qualitative research is, and how the two are related.
- Describe an end-to-end methodology for qualitative research that is suited for understanding user needs
- Explore semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls.
- Develop experience with semi-structured interviews, in-situ observations, and affinity walls
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone looking to gain experience in UX principles, techniques and processes, but specifically in the area of UX research and interviews.
This course is part of the University of Michigan’s User Experience Research and Design program.
Who developed the course?
As the #1 public research university in the United States, U-M has been a leader in research, learning, and teaching for more than 200 years, with 102 Grad programs in the top 10 — U.S. News & World Report (2019).
- LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
- World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get: