Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
UX Design Fundamentals: Design Thinking and Ideation
What is design thinking, and what part does it play in the wider scheme of user experience design?
This short design thinking course will teach you the basics you need to kickstart your career as a digital designer in UX. You’ll develop the knowledge and skills needed to successfully implement design thinking practices grounded in solid UX fundamentals in the workplace.
By getting to grips with the design thinking framework, you’ll be able to tackle large, complex and even unknown issues within product development. It will give you the tools, skills and mindset to seek out practical and logical innovation, and to take a solution-based view to solving problems as a UX designer.
Empathise to test: the five stages of design thinking
You’ll examine the five-stage design thinking model proposed by the Hasso-Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford University: empathise, define (the problem), ideate, prototype and test. You’ll explore the non-linear nature of this methodology that will allow you to work through obstacles and bring ideas to life.
Understand the design thinking mindset: ideation and implementation
On this course you’ll deep dive into two key design elements – ideation and implementation.
You’ll find out why ideation matters, learn its content and carry out differentiation activities and exercises. And you’ll explore the purpose of implementation, its context, different types of interaction and its requirements in terms of business and resources. You’ll also learn how to use a number of powerful tools to help you with the implementation process.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Define and justify an ideation plan
- Articulate how to leverage the concepts of diverge/converge in order to find wise solutions
- Articulate the key elements of an implementation plan
- Justify the right moment to execute an implementation plan
- Recognise support mechanisms to keep an implementation plan going
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for developing theoretical and practical expertise in the fundamentals of design thinking.
You may be an entry-level or intermediate graphic or digital designer, a non-technical digital team leader or an aspiring product manager.
What software or tools do you need?
In this course, you will use Canva.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends