Leadership Resilience and Thriving During Turbulent Times
Want to progress in your leadership career? Gain the essential skills to adapt, recover, and thrive during challenging times.
DatesStarts on 8 May 2023Join by 8 May 2023 at 00:00See more start dates
CreditUniversity CreditLearn more
Discover the importance of resilience in leadership
Resilience enables you to overcome adversity and importantly, recover from setbacks. The ability to appraise, respond to and recover from challenges is essential for successful leadership.
In times of global disruption, economic uncertainty, and political instability, leaders face an increasingly challenging environment, and resilience is key in coping with these demands. Whether you’re an emerging, aspiring, or experienced leader, this microcredential will help you to develop your resilience and that of your team.
Resilience isn’t just about surviving. This microcredential will help you not only cope but thrive during challenging times, so as to secure the longevity of your leadership career while creating environments in which others can thrive too.
At the end of the programme, you’ll gain accreditation from Nottingham Business School to certify your leadership skills.
Learn what it really means to be resilient as a leader
Using a research, evidence-based approach, you’ll explore the concept of resilience and its importance in leadership.
You’ll also learn to differentiate and develop related concepts, such as grit and mental toughness, to become a well-rounded leader.
Understand the positive psychology behind resilience and thriving
When times are challenging, especially over the long term, we don’t just want to cope, we want to be able to thrive. You will learn the positive psychology behind resilience and thriving.
With this knowledge, you will be able to positively adapt during difficult situations
Explore effective strategies for dealing with stress, adversity, and trauma
As you expand your understanding of stress and trauma, you’ll explore strategies for positively adapting that enable you not only to cope but to thrive.
Aided by these strategies, you’ll become a more resilient and adaptable leader, with the capacity to build even greater resilience in future.
You’ll also learn how resilience helps in times of crisis, and how you can successfully navigate high-stakes situations.
Learn how to develop team resilience
Once you know how to build your own resilience, you’ll learn how to support your team in developing theirs.
Leaders are instrumental in creating an environment and culture in which people can thrive. You’ll reflect on what you can do as a leader to create this kind of working environment.
By the end of the microcredential, you’ll have the know-how you need to build resilience and navigate turbulent times throughout your leadership career.
How will resilience help me in my leadership development?
In an increasingly challenging professional environment, it is crucial for leaders to be resilient. In addition to nationwide factors, leaders may face their own personal challenges, stress, and trauma throughout their careers. Building resilience will help them achieve success in both their professional and personal lives.
Resilience is a key differentiator in successful leadership. Leaders need to be able to recover from setbacks, cope with challenging situations, adapt, and lead people through difficult times. This applies whatever stage you are at in your leadership career.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete a 2000-word essay which will feature an action plan. This reflection has been designed to assess your knowledge of the learning outcomes.
Will I receive university credits?
Upon successful completion of the microcredential and assessment, you’ll receive ten level seven credits at Postgraduate level from Nottingham Trent University.
What skills will you learn?
- Leading Teams
What you will achieve
By the end of the microcredential, you’ll be able to...
- Evaluate evidence-based approaches to leadership resilience
- Identify, using information from a range of sources, factors impacting resilience in leadership
- Apply knowledge to identify strategies and approaches to the development of resilience.
- Evaluate your past and present decisions, behaviours and actions to enhance resilience for personal, professional and leadership development
- Identify proposals for the creation of an environment where people and teams can thrive.
Are you eligible for this microcredential?
To join this postgraduate microcredential, you will ideally have as a minimum:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification
- Proficiency in the English language to IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
- Experience (2 years minimum) working in a relevant professional or management role
- If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, we would recommend a minimum of five years leadership or management experience
- A strong interest in the subject area
Is this microcredential right for you?
This microcredential is aimed at aspiring, emerging, and experienced leaders.
The content has been designed to help you develop in your leadership career and overcome challenges or uncertainty in your role.
It will improve your ability to cope with stress and to positively adapt during difficult times.
It will also help you develop greater insight into the impact of trauma and post-traumatic growth on leaders and leadership.
What happens before, during, and after your microcredential
From 8 May 2023
Leadership Resilience and Thriving During Turbulent Times
Develop your resilience and capacity to thrive as a leader during challenging and turbulent times.
10 hours per week
The Concept of Resilience and Its Importance in Leadership
- Welcome - Start here
- Exploring the Concept of Resilience
- Resilience in Context
Differentiating Resilience from Related Concepts
- Mental Toughness
Resilience and Thriving in Positive Psychology
- The Relationship Between Resilience and Thriving
- Resilience as Psychological Capital
- Resilience in positive psychology
Risk factors, Stress and Antecedents to Resilience
- Understanding Risk Factors in Resilience
- Understanding Stress
- Risk Factors in Leadership
Developing Resilience through Coping Strategies, Positive Adaptation and Protective Factors
- Developing Resilience
- Developing Strategies to Cope During Stressful Situations
- Developing Protective Factors
- Positive Adaptation During Ongoing Stressors
Exploring Resilience in Career Management
- How Resilience Helps Us to Maximise Career Opportunities
- Resilience, Self-efficacy and Career Decision Making
- Bouncing Back from Career Setbacks
- Formative Assessment
Exploring the Relationship Between Resilience and Post-Traumatic Growth
- Understanding Post-Traumatic Stress
- Resilience and Post Traumatic Growth
Understanding Resilience in High-Stakes Environments
- Resilience in Crisis Leadership
- Resilience in High Stakes Environments
- High Stakes Situations in Leadership
Developing Team Resilience
- Defining Team Resilience
- Understanding the Characteristics of Resilient Teams
- Identifying Strategies for Improving Team Resilience
Creating An Organisation Where People Can Thrive
- How Leaders Influence Organisational Culture and the Working Environment
- Understanding Organisational Factors That Contribute to Stress
- The Role of the Leader in Helping Employees to Thrive at Work
- The Summative Assessment
What you will receive
10 Level 7 credits at Postgraduate level from Nottingham Trent University
You’ll receive 10 Level 7 postgraduate credits from Nottingham Trent University. These can be put towards the total needed to obtain a Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership and Management Practice.
Find out how credits work and where you can use them in our FAQs.
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly-growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
Complete online courses led by experts over multiple weeks with a dedicated group of professionals.
Test your understanding with online tutor-marked assessments and exercises.
Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
Delivered by experts
Senior Lecturer in Executive Education at Nottingham Business School, Nottingham Trent University. Founder of 2thrive Consultancy and a qualified experienced Executive Coach.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
When would you like to start?
We aim to run our microcredentials every few months. Join on the date that suits you or register to hear about future runs and updates.
Not ready to join yet? Register to find out more
Find out more
Not sure if microcredentials are right for you? Fill in your details below and we will send you more information to help you make a decision.
We can accept payments made by card (Visa, Mastercard and American Express) or PayPal via our online system.
You will have 14 days from the day the course starts to apply for a refund. If this Microcredential has any non-refundable costs they will be stated in the ‘Overview’ section above. You can find more information in our cancellation and refund policy.
Microcredentials are designed to fit around your life and timezone.
There may be live events as part of your studies, but these will be recorded and can be watched afterwards if you aren’t online for the live broadcast.
No, microcredentials are designed to be taken anywhere in the world. You won’t need the right to study in the country where the university offering the microcredential is based.
Want to know more? Read the microcredential FAQs, or contact us.