Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Adult Education Essentials: Assessment for Learning Principles and Practices
Discover assessment for learning strategies and the relevant theory
As with other student-centred practices, assessment for learning is grounded in reflective practice, ensuring robust and fair methods of assessment.
During this four-week course, you’ll be introduced to good assessment practice, learning how to develop consistent, authentic methods of measuring progress.
Check learner engagement using formative assessment methods
Formative assessment allows educators to monitor learner engagement and how well the content has been understood.
You’ll examine examples of formative assessment and how to integrate them into your delivery. By regularly checking for understanding, you’ll be able to adapt your course design to support your learners’ diverse needs.
Improve learning outcomes by exploring forms of alternative assessment
Just as one method of teaching does not suit all learners, the same is true of assessment.
You’ll learn how a student-centred approach allows you to measure progress that may not be possible using traditional assessment forms.
Using forward-looking and naturally occurring assessment, you’ll be able to develop techniques that align with your intended learning outcomes and measure if they have been achieved.
Engage learners in reflective practice using constructive feedback
Student-centred approaches are built on a foundation of reflective practice, both for educators and learners.
You’ll learn how to deliver high-quality, constructive feedback. In doing so, you’ll be able to encourage students to adopt a reflective approach to their learning, allowing them to revisit concepts and strengthen their contextual understanding.
By the end of this course, you’ll understand assessment for learning principles and how they help learners feel respected, supported, and able to build on your feedback using reflective practice.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply a range of assessment strategies including formative, competency – based and alternative assessment practices.
- Develop a range of assessment strategies including formative, competency – based and alternative assessment practices.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for trainers and facilitators working in both formal education settings and/or workplaces. It is aimed at developing existing knowledge and skills of facilitators who have some teaching experience but minimal formal training or qualifications in adult teaching.
It is also suitable for people who are new to or considering adult teaching, as well as those requiring additional learning and development.
Who developed the course?
The Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec) is a leading tertiary education provider and one of New Zealand’s largest Institutes of Technology. Established in 1924, Wintec delivers technical, vocational, and professional education across a broad range of qualifications, domestically and internationally.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends