Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Adult Education Essentials: Student-Centred Course Design
Empower adult learners through interactive learning
The benefits of using student-centred learning approaches are now widely recognised within adult education.
On this four-week course, you’ll learn how to engage adult learners and encourage them to take ownership of their own learning. You’ll delve into models of student-centred design, integrating them into your own learning context.
Create an authentic, active learning experience for every learner
Active learning environments focus on constructing knowledge through guided interaction, structured activities, and hands-on assignments.
You’ll explore ways to embed active learning into your teaching frameworks, allowing for learning that is both meaningful and relevant to your learner’s life and experiences.
Investigate course design principles including the ADDIE model of teaching and learning
Student-centred teaching principles focus on learners’ needs and how they can apply their knowledge in different contexts.
You’ll discuss the advantages of a learner-centred classroom and explore theoretical models of course design, learning how to put these theories into practice.
With this knowledge, you’ll be able to explain your course design, built on a foundation of student-centred learning principles.
Improve learning outcomes using constructive alignment techniques
Constructive alignment ensures that learning activities and intended learning outcomes remain linked throughout planning and delivery.
By using this model in your course design, you’ll be able to communicate to learners what their expected outcomes are and how they will achieve them, building trust and rapport.
By the end of this course, you’ll have explored theories of student-centred course design, gaining practical tips and techniques to develop authentic content that encourages reflective learning.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore student-centred, adult training programmes, that are authentic and contextualised and based on principles of constructive alignment
- Develop student-centred, adult training programmes, that are authentic and contextualised and based on principles of constructive alignment
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for facilitators and educators who work with adults and have little or no formal training or qualifications in adult teaching. It is suitable for those who are considering working with adult learners and require further teaching and learning development.
Who developed the course?
The Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec) is a leading tertiary education provider and one of New Zealand’s largest Institutes of Technology. Established in 1924, Wintec delivers technical, vocational, and professional education across a broad range of qualifications, domestically and internationally.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends