- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
Advanced Machine Learning
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover and apply advanced statistical machine learning techniques
This online course explores advanced statistical machine learning.
You will discover where machine learning techniques are used in the data science project workflow. You will then look in detail at supervised learning statistical modeling algorithms for classification and regression problems, examining how these algorithms are related, and how models generated by them can be tuned and evaluated.
You will also look at feature engineering and how to analyse sufficiency of data.
- Statistical Machine Learning Theory
- Analysis and Evaluation of Statistical Models
- Analysis of Data
- Supervised Learning - Artificial Neural Networks
- Supervised Learning - Kernel Methods
- Unsupervised Learning - Clustering
- Unsupervised Learning - Topic Modeling
- Feature Engineering
- Missing Data
- Basic Reinforcement Learning
- Basic Semi-Supervised Learning
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the steps of a typical data science problem, and perform those steps identified as falling under the responsibility of a machine learning specialist.
- Perform a range of pre-processing steps, including feature engineering and management of missing data, as well as explain the utility and importance of such methods.
- Apply a range of advanced machine learning techniques from all major areas of machine learning (supervised, unsupervised, semi-supervised and reinforcement learning) including tuning and regularizing these models.
- Explain how these techniques work, including the relationship between more advanced methods and the simpler methods they are built upon.
- Evaluate rigorously the performance of statistical models, and justify the selection of particular models for use.
- Evaluate rigorously the sufficiency of and suitability of data for a given modelling task
Who is the course for?
This is an advanced course and some experience with machine learning, data science or statistical modeling is expected. Links will be provided to basic resources about assumed knowledge.
Sections of the course make use of advanced mathematics, including statistics, linear algebra, calculus and information theory. If you have prior knowledge of these areas, particularly the first two, you will obtain additional insights into the methods used. If you do not have this prior knowledge, you will still be able to achieve the learning outcomes of the course.
What software or tools do you need?
The course uses R. If you have not programmed with R before, you should consider taking a quick introductory course, such as Try R.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020