Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Extra benefits From $64 Find out more
Enhance your online teaching with strategies from educational technology experts
As e-learning becomes ever-more widespread, online educators are being required to design learning experiences that engage and meet the needs of very diverse learners.
This course, developed by The Open University’s Institute of Educational Technology, explores four myths: that learning design is about technology and content; that innovation and accessibility are incompatible; that researching online learning is an ethics-free zone, and that educators’ online identities are irrelevant.
Studying the course will help you enhance your practice through videos, quizzes and discussion with peers.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - Disruption and design
- Current developments in online teaching
- Navigating the hype about disruptive innovation
- The relationship between content, technology, people and pedagogy in learning design
- The challenges of meeting diverse students’ needs
- The use of personas in creating relevant online courses
Week 2 - Innovation and accessibility
- Myths about accessibility and digital innovation
- Types of digital exclusion
- Finding and evaluating accessibility guidelines
- Applying accessibility guidelines to your teaching
Week 3 - Ethical evaluation of online teaching
- Myths about researching and evaluating online teaching
- Evidence and ethics
- Navigating the hype around educational technology innovation
- Evaluating research reports
- Evaluating your own teaching innovations
- Ethical considerations when researching online teaching
Week 4 - Who am I online?
- Myths about online identity
- The value to educators of a carefully constructed online identity
- Evaluating your own online identity
- Using Twitter to build an identity online
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for anyone involved in online education or training, including teachers, trainers, course designers and researchers. While it will help to have a current practice setting to draw on, this is not essential.
Who will you learn with?
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLonlineeducator to talk about this course on social media.