Antimicrobial Stewardship for Africa
Duration 3 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $44 Find out more
Learn how to tackle antimicrobial resistance in Africa
Communicable diseases remain to be a leading cause of death in African countries (WHO). This course will look at the threat of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and how best to tackle it.
You’ll explore the burden of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and the importance of microbiology investigations in antibiotic therapy.
You’ll learn about antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance and how to develop antibiotic guidelines.
Finally, you’ll evaluate the strategies that have been implemented in African hospitals and make more effective use of antimicrobials.
What topics will you cover?
- The global versus African burden of resistance, importance of microbiology investigations before or during antibiotic therapy
- Antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance
- Strengthening the ICAN network to support stewardship and infection prevention
- Basic interventions /tools to support stewardship
- How to develop antibiotic guidelines and policies
- Incorporating antimicrobial stewardship into hospital infection control programs
- Using Education and feedback to change behaviour for antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and policymakers involved in the prevention, treatment and management of infectious diseases.
Who will you learn with?
Founded in 1971, the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy exists to facilitate the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge in the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy.
Our vision is an African continent where safe patient care is ensured for all with the implementation of strong infection control programmes.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLantimicrobialstewardshipafrica to talk about this course on social media.