Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Antimicrobial Stewardship for Africa
Learn how to tackle antimicrobial resistance in Africa
Communicable diseases remain to be a leading cause of death in African countries (WHO). This course will look at the threat of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and how best to tackle it.
You’ll explore the burden of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and the importance of microbiology investigations in antibiotic therapy.
You’ll learn about antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance and how to develop antibiotic guidelines.
Finally, you’ll evaluate the strategies that have been implemented in African hospitals and make more effective use of antimicrobials.
- The global versus African burden of resistance, importance of microbiology investigations before or during antibiotic therapy
- Antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance
- Strengthening the ICAN network to support stewardship and infection prevention
- Basic interventions /tools to support stewardship
- How to develop antibiotic guidelines and policies
- Incorporating antimicrobial stewardship into hospital infection control programs
- Using Education and feedback to change behaviour for antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the effectiveness of using the strategies, tools and interventions in AMS that have been implemented in African hospitals
- Investigate the use of laboratory support and measurement, where available, to improve antimicrobial prescribing
- Explore how to improve prescribing without laboratory diagnostics
- Evaluate the influence of cultural issues on prescribing habits and the value of behaviour change science in successful antimicrobial stewardship
- Assess the value of networks, such as ICAN, to support stewardship and infection prevention
- Develop antibiotic guidelines and policies to suit your practice and location
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and policymakers involved in the prevention, treatment and management of infectious diseases.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.