Gain insight into antimicrobial resistance, learn about the threats it poses to wound care, and explore preventative measures.
Weekly study2 hours
Antimicrobial Stewardship in Wound Management
Learn how to manage wound infection as a healthcare professional
It’s common to control wound infections with antibiotics. Understanding antimicrobial stewardship is key to preventing antimicrobial resistance and treating a range of infections caused by bacteria, parasites, viruses, and fungi.
On this course, you will explore antimicrobial resistance, learn how to treat it, and understand how this affects the safe management of patients with wounds. You will also learn how to recognise and diagnose wound infections and how to implement infection control measures in your own practice.
What topics will you cover?
- What is Wound Management.
- Identification and Diagnosis of Wound Infection.
- Management and Prevention of Infection.
- Principles of Antimicrobial Stewardship in Wound Management.
- Implementation into clinical practice.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore antimicrobial stewardship.
- Demonstrate infection prevention measures in your own clinical area.
- Identify signs of infection.
- Develop skills to manage wound infections.
- Engage others in your department to carry out antimicrobial stewardship.
- Perform antimicrobial stewardship in your own area and prioritise monitoring.
Who is the course for?
This course is for healthcare professionals involved in wound management and infection prevention.
What do people say about this course?
Who will you learn with?
I am Karen Ousey, Professor and Director for the Institute of Skin Integrity and Infection Prevention at the University of Huddersfield - UK. I am a nurse by clinical background
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #WoundAMS to talk about this course on social media.
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.