Weekly study3 hours
Assessment for Learning in STEM Teaching
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Assessment for Learning (AfL) is a term that’s widely used in education, but applied in ways that are variable in their effectiveness. This free online course - designed for STEM teachers in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and further education colleges - will help you understand and use it more effectively.
Enjoy your teaching more
As the course progresses, you’ll be encouraged to try things out in your laboratory and classroom; actively reflect on what you discover in the process; and share your experience as part of the course discussions.
You’ll also be invited to read some of the scientific literature about Assessment for Learning. Your learners will gain as a result - and you’ll enjoy your teaching more.
What topics will you cover?
- The key principles of Assessment for Learning.
- Intentional dialogue.
- Hinge-point questions.
- Questioning as a source of evidence.
- Acting on the evidence.
- Evolving your practice teaching in a formative way.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the main principles of Assessment for Learning
- Assess some of the research literature about Assessment for Learning
- Reflect on the role of intentional dialogue in supporting teaching in a formative way
- Explain the key characteristics of a hinge-point question
- Improve ability to create hinge-point questions through a peer review design and evaluation process
- Contribute to a crowd-sourced repository of hinge-point questions
- Collaborate with peers, educators and mentors to try out activities and share thinking in order to help shift practice
- Evaluate a range of practical ideas that can be used to elicit evidence from students
- Collect and analyse evidence from students on changes implemented in the classroom in order to critically reflect on own practice in order to prioritise next steps in own development
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for English-speaking teachers of STEM subjects in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and FE colleges. It’s also relevant to trainee teachers; teacher trainers; those thinking about a career in STEM teaching; and developers of STEM-related course materials.
It is a CPD course for people who, in the main, have a degree level qualification, or who are in the process of obtaining one.
Who will you learn with?
Reader in Science Education and Chair of ASE 2014-2015. Lead UK Researcher on Assessment for Learning. Research interests in Inquiry-learning, professional learning and CPD.
Former physics teacher & leader, now supporting educators to develop teaching. Commissioned by National STEM Learning Centre to work with Dylan Wiliam & Chris Harrison to design & support AfL courses.
Former school teacher, academic, and university administrator, now working with teachers and leaders around the world to improve educational outcomes for young people.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMAssessment to talk about this course on social media.