- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $99
Cognitive Behavioural Skills to Treat Back Pain: The Back Skills Training (BeST) Programme
Understand a cognitive behavioural approach to manage ongoing low back pain
The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme focuses on ‘undoing’ beliefs about low back pain, and provides skills to become more active, despite pain. The programme was developed by experts in psychology, physiotherapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and people with long-standing low back pain. According to a rigorous clinical trial, the BeST programme produces long term reductions in people’s pain and disability and is a very cost effective treatment.
On this course you will explore the BeST programme, examining the causes of persistent low back pain, and the cognitive behavioural approach.
What topics will you cover?
- The nature and cause of persistent low back pain.
- The cognitive behavioural approach.
- Exercise and activity for low back pain.
- How thoughts and feelings can influence pain.
- Pain management skills.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply a cognitive behavioural approach to effectively help people better manage persistent low back pain.
- Reflect on how to implement these techniques in clinical practice.
- Lead a group back skills training (BeST) programme in your clinical setting.
- Demonstrate understanding of a cognitive behavioural approach to managing persistent low back pain.
Who is the course for?
This course is approved by the British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development for healthcare professionals. It is designed for healthcare professionals with a role or interest in managing patients with low back pain (including nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and psychological therapists).
It will also be useful for students training to become healthcare professionals. The Certificate of Achievement for this course would be useful for providing evidence of CPD.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbackskills to talk about this course on social media.