Weekly study6 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learn How to Bake Afternoon Tea with BBC Good Food
Discover how to bake the perfect afternoon tea with tasty and simple recipes
Over the last five years, afternoon tea, the quintessentially British meal, has become increasingly popular to enjoy out or serve at home.
This course offers five delicious recipes for you to try each week to help you create your own ideal afternoon tea.
You’ll discover how to bake scones, sugar biscuits, madeleines, eclairs, and macarons – classic tea treats sure to leave friends and family wanting more!
Boost your baking techniques and improve your recipes
The course will help you explore recipe ideas for the bakes you love – and help you to explain why each one works.
You’ll learn what to look for in ingredients, and how to start exploring bold new flavours to really bring your afternoon tea bakes to life.
Once you’re comfortable with the essentials, you’ll see how you can vary your ideas and make your bakes even better.
Learn through interactive cooking sessions
You’ll pinpoint how you could become a better cook, by learning to annotate and improve recipes – as well as reflect on the inevitable odd failed bake!
Learn how to decorate your afternoon tea bakes, and get the inside track on exactly what bakeware and kitchen kit you need to bring your biscuits, buns, and bites to life.
An important part of baking is the culture around it. With interactive and animated online lessons, you’ll also examine the role that baking plays in everyday life.
Get baking tips and tricks from the experts at BBC Good Food
BBC Good Food have been the number one destination for budding cooks and bakers for 30 years.
Now you can learn how to hone your afternoon tea ideas with their expert baking teachers – creating innovative recipes, and becoming a better baker in the process.
This course covers five bakes that would be found at a classic afternoon tea: scones, sugar biscuits, madeleines, eclairs and macarons.
The course starts at the easier end of the scale and ends with the most technically difficult, allowing learners to build on their knowledge. Each class also suggests variations for the bake in question, as well as serving suggestions.
The course also includes:
- How to read and amend a recipe
- What to look for in ingredients
- Bakeware and kitchen equipment tips
- How to get creative with decoration
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Learners will be taught to describe the mechanics of cooking, and in particular baking.
- They will be encouraged to investigate the behaviours that they will create around them as they cook, the cultural role that baking plays in life and how to become better cooks.
- Learners will be able to research and collect recipes that they want to try based on being able to evaluate the written instructions
- They will learn how to ‘read’ or interpret a recipe to see if it is workable, and to annotate it, to improve it
- Learners will be encouraged to be brave when cooking, to explore new flavours and experiment with different ingredients.
- They will be taught how to reflect on failure if it happens, assess possible causes and modify techniques.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for beginner to intermediate bakers.
Whether you want to learn how baking works so you can be more experimental with your bakes, you’re looking to avoid unhealthy bakes and want to bake from scratch with family, you’re interested in becoming a baking hobbyist, or you’re an experienced baker and want to add new abilities – this course has something for you.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.