Weekly study6 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learn How to Bake Showstopper Cakes with BBC Good Food
Learn the art of cake making with the experts at BBC Good Food
Ready to create beautiful celebration cakes that will rival any Great British Bake Off showstopper?
This course takes you on a delicious journey through the cake making process of several baked items, as well as the fundamentals of cake making and the baking science behind it.
You’ll build a collection of tried and tested celebration cake recipes straight from the BBC Good Food kitchen, and try your hand at core baking techniques like crumb coating, glazing, and more.
Learn top cake baking techniques and tips
Whether you’re baking a one-off wedding cake, making birthday cakes for friends or family, or baking at bake sales or for your small business, this course will develop your understanding of the skills and baking science needed to bake a series of celebration cakes.
You’ll learn exactly how baking works so that you can amend recipes to your tastes, and respond to any baking mishaps you may encounter along the way.
Experiment with gravity defying baking designs and methods
Showstopper cakes have to look (and taste) extra special and this course includes an exploration of the structural design of cakes as well as investigation of cake textures and flavours.
You’ll also interrogate eatability versus appearance, and explore techniques such as crumb coating, frosting, mirror glazes, drips, and hidden patterns.
Study cake making with experienced bakers at BBC Good Food
BBC Good Food has over 30 years of culinary teaching experience and with thousands of tried and tested cake recipes under their belt, this course offers new and useful skills to cake bakers of all levels.
Plus, as well as recipes and advice, you’ll get essential tips on bakeware and kitchen equipment worthing buying, as well as transporting finished cakes.
Showstopper cakes explores the techniques, skills and baking science that are needed to bake a series of celebration cakes. The course covers the structural design of cakes, investigates textures and flavours, interrogates eatability versus appearance, and explores techniques such as crumb coating, frosting, mirror glazes, drips, hidden patterns and making gravity defying cakes.
The course also includes:
- How to read and amend a recipe
- What to look for in ingredients
- Bakeware and kitchen equipment tips
- Transporting finished cakes
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the mechanics of cooking, and in particular baking.
- Investigate the behaviours that are created as you cook, the cultural role that baking plays in life and how to become better cooks.
- Research and collect recipes they want to try based on being able to evaluate the written instructions.
- Be brave when cooking, explore new flavours and experiment with different ingredients.
- Reflect on failure if it happens, assess possible causes and modify techniques.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone keen to learn the art of baking showstopper cakes for any occasion.
This may include: Baking enthusiasts: Whether the pandemic has ignited your love of baking or you’ve been baking for years, you’re looking for new recipes to try and to better understand the science behind your bakes alongside like minded cake bakers. Intermediate bakers: You’ve already invested time into learning to bake but want to quantify and improve your skill level by adding new abilities. Baking nerds: You already have commendable baking skills but want to ensure you know everything you can. You’ve taken baking classes before and enjoy the interactive and social elements of learning in a group. Wannabe chefs: You have basic cooking skills but want to learn more rounded techniques, and build your confidence and knowledge before venturing to cooking school.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends