- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Digital upgradeFree
Basic English 1: Elementary
Learn everyday English for work or studying
Have you always wanted to learn English, or need to know the language for your work or studies?
This free online 4-week course will help you learn basic English skills. It will give you confidence in everyday situations and help you improve your listening skills.
After taking this course you can progress to Basic English: Pre-Intermediate.
Improve your English vocabulary
At the beginning of the course, you’ll learn what to say when you meet new people, learn to introduce yourself, and practice joining in with conversations. You’ll work on your speaking, reading, and listening skills.
By using your computer or smartphone, you’ll be able to hear people talking in English in a number of different situations and test your understanding with quizzes.
Learn basic English grammar and common English phrases
By the end of the course, you’ll be comfortable with asking simple questions, talking about friends and family, and discussing work and hobbies.
Learn to express your likes and dislikes, chat about hobbies such as music and sport, and read emails from a new pen pal. All of these activities will improve your confidence in elementary English.
You’ll have a good understanding of basic grammar including subject pronouns, different tenses, and the verb ‘to be’. Your pronunciation skills will also be put to the test.
- Language to introduce yourself
- Describing how you are feeling
- Asking simple questions
- Talking about your friends and family, and describing their personalities
- Talking about work and jobs
- Saying what you do and don’t like
- Talking about your hobbies
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify language used in everyday situations, such as studying, communicating with classmates, and talking about work
- Develop confidence in key language items useful in a range of different scenarios
- Apply language skills for everyday conversations
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant language that can help the learner progress along the path to studying at a university
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who want to learn English for studying and for work. It has been created as part of the PADILEIA project.
However, it will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their skills in basic English.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A1 to get the most from this course.
Supported by UK aid - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education, Innovation and Reform
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.