Discover how technology can be used to reduce social isolation in our communities and enhance our human connections.
Weekly study2 hours
Building Human Connection in a Digital World
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Harness the power of technology to connect better with others on and offline
This course will help you to better understand how technology is changing the way we interact and reflect on ways we can use technology to reduce social isolation.
Over two weeks, you’ll build your skills in communication, collaboration and critical thinking, as you explore how technology can be used to solve the challenge of isolation.
How does the online world impact communication?
Alongside a global community of learners, you’ll examine the highs and lows of online communication – exploring how it can impact people’s well-being and the barriers that need to be overcome to create meaningful and truthful connections in the online world.
Using lockdown as a case in point, you’ll also have the chance to think about how technology can help to foster digital connections when physical closeness isn’t possible!
What’s the problem with fake news online?
Technology today means information can be instantly shared around the world at the click of a button.
Using COVID-19 as a case study, you’ll learn about the impact of online misinformation on our society.
You’ll consider how tech can instead be used to create fact-based online communities and in turn improve human interaction online.
Tackle social isolation with technology
The final step of this course invites you to innovate and create a product, service, or app that will help end isolation. You’ll be encouraged to think critically and thoughtfully about how technology might solve social isolation in the future.
You’ll also learn tips and tools that will help you to prepare your idea for entry into Samsung’s tech for good competition, Solve for Tomorrow, that’s open to all 18 to 25-year-olds in the UK.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 covers a range of topics on the theme of using technology to overcome isolation in a digital world. These include: how COVID-19 has impacted social isolation, why being more digital means being more human, and the highs and lows of digital connections during lockdown.
Week 2 covers how we can connect truthfully online with Matteo Bergamini, how to change lenses in a digital world with Rachel Monteagudo, and hear thoughts from Lady Leshurr.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on how you use technology to connect digitally and how this makes you and others feel
- Identify tangible actions that you can take to contribute to overcome this challenge
- Develop practical skills on how to communicate effectively, collaborate with others, think critically and formulate a creative solution
Who is the course for?
This course is primarily designed for 18 to 25-year-olds interested in how technology can be used to put a stop to social isolation.
This course draws on teachings and conversation with Matteo Bergamini, Jag Minhas, Lady Leshurr, Liv Little, and Rachel Monteagudo, who are all passionate about building human connections using technology.
You’ll be encouraged to engage with the course experts on every step of the course and discuss as you learn with your fellow learners taking the course around the world.
Samsung are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.