Learn how to hold a basic conversation in Chinese Mandarin and master around 150 Chinese words with this online language course.
Weekly study2 hours
Introduction to Chinese: Conversation
Learn how to use Chinese words in the right context
Are you new to the Chinese language? Gain an introduction to Chinese conversation with this fun and interactive course. On this course, you will learn useful words and expressions that will help you navigate your way through China.
You will cover greetings and introductions as well as basic tasks like asking for directions and ordering meals. You will also build your knowledge of traditional and popular Chinese culture. By the end of this course, you will have learnt approximately 150 new words that will help you with more advanced Chinese language courses in the future.
What topics will you cover?
- Greetings and Self-introduction
- Family Members and Different Jobs
- Ordering Things and Making Payments
- Dates and Time
- Weather and Health
- Directions and Plans
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore approximately 150 vocabulary words
- Demonstrate proper usage of vocabulary within context of use
- Apply some sentences in daily communication and achieve language proficiency of New HSK 1
- Understand some similarities and differences between Chinese culture and one’s own culture
Who is the course for?
This course is for beginners wanting to learn Chinese and become more familiar with Chinese culture.
Who will you learn with?
Professor and Dean of School of Chinese Studies and Exchange, Shanghai International Studies University. Have been working as a teacher of English and later Chinese since 1994.
A Chinese teacher at Shanghai International Studies University, having been teaching Chinese to the beginners of other languages for seven years.
Instructor at Shanghai International Studies University. Has been teaching Chinese at different levels to foreign language speakers for seven years.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.