Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Community Based Research: Getting Started
Community based research means involving a community in all stages of a research process - this kind of research can give people the power to transform their lives.
On this course you will learn the basics of community based research by examining the citizen science methodology used by the RELIEF Centre in Lebanon. You will learn to construct your own research questions to find out community needs and how to meet them. You will develop research skills to carry out local research projects sensitively and ethically, using examples from Lebanon to support you as an aspiring researcher.
- Insight into the what, why, and how of community based research
- Identification of the skills needed to plan an effective research project, spanning research questions, qualitative and quantitative data collection, interview skills, and observation skills
- Planning of community based research projects, including development of a research proposal, submission for peer review, data analysis approaches, and networking and public engagement.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the uses of community based research
- Assess the varying perspectives of different stakeholders in community based research
- Reflect on the sensitivities and ethics of community based research
- Identify a research question for community based research and appropriate research methods to answer it
- Develop research skills appropriate to community based research
- Produce a proposal for a community based research project
Who is the course for?
This course is for community members who want to find new solutions for community problems. It’s also suitable for community researchers recruited by NGOs, teachers who want to investigate relationships between school and the community, academic researchers in Lebanon and elsewhere, students wanting to carry out community research, leaders of community research, trainers of researchers in NGOs or on academic projects, and even entrepreneurs who wish to investigate the community demand for their products or find out what the community needs.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.