Community based research means involving a community in all stages of a research process - this kind of research can give people the power to transform their lives.
On this course you will learn the basics of community based research by examining the citizen science methodology used by the RELIEF Centre in Lebanon. You will learn to construct your own research questions to find out community needs and how to meet them. You will develop research skills to carry out local research projects sensitively and ethically, using examples from Lebanon to support you as an aspiring researcher.
- Insight into the what, why, and how of community based research
- Identification of the skills needed to plan an effective research project, spanning research questions, qualitative and quantitative data collection, interview skills, and observation skills
- Planning of community based research projects, including development of a research proposal, submission for peer review, data analysis approaches, and networking and public engagement.
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the uses of community based research
- Assess the varying perspectives of different stakeholders in community based research
- Reflect on the sensitivities and ethics of community based research
- Identify a research question for community based research and appropriate research methods to answer it
- Develop research skills appropriate to community based research
- Produce a proposal for a community based research project
Who is the course for?
This course is for community members who want to find new solutions for community problems. It’s also suitable for community researchers recruited by NGOs, teachers who want to investigate relationships between school and the community, academic researchers in Lebanon and elsewhere, students wanting to carry out community research, leaders of community research, trainers of researchers in NGOs or on academic projects, and even entrepreneurs who wish to investigate the community demand for their products or find out what the community needs.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #CBRMOOC to talk about this course on social media.