Explore the meaning of community
Community resilience requires partnerships where community expertise is truly valued. This short course explores what a community is and looks at key community development perspectives and theories.
During the course, you’ll have the opportunity to investigate how ‘community’ is used in policies and guidance.
By the end of the course, you should be able to understand community from a range of theoretical and complementary standpoints and be capable of interpreting this information for effective practice in building resilience.
What topics will you cover?
- The meaning of community
- Introduction to social capital
- Capital development practice
- Methodology and principles for engaging with communities
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe a conceptual, theoretical and practical view of ‘community’
- Identify factors that contribute to community capital and capacity to act
- Evaluate appropriate approaches to community engagement
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at individuals who wish to understand what a community is and how to work with local people to develop resilience projects.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.