Weekly study5 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 2
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Contemporary Chinese II: 2.1
Build your Chinese vocabulary and compose simple sentences in Mandarin
When learning a new language, it can be extremely helpful to add cultural context as you learn, building more of your knowledge of the environment and culture around the language alongside the language skills themselves.
On this six-week course from ChinesePlus, you’ll learn new vocabulary and sentence structures to discuss topics such as the weather, past events, locations, and health. You’ll also build your general knowledge of Chinese culture to put your new skills into context.
Discover the structures for discussing past and present experiences in Chinese
As you progress through this course, you’ll master a number of new Chinese particles to describe past experiences and actions. Using the function words 过 (guo) and 了 (le), you’ll begin to compose simple sentences about changes in situations.
Develop more complex sentences using prepositions and adverbs
Once you have the basic skills to discuss a topic in another language, you then need to learn the different grammatical rules to form more complex and natural conversations.
This course will guide you through building complex sentences by using prepositions, adverbs, and clauses to expand your Chinese proficiency. You’ll practice both writing and speaking in Chinese in order to take your Chinese fluency to the next level.
Explore different aspects of Chinese culture
At the end of each week of this course, once you’ve added to your Chinese language skills, you will learn about a new aspect of Chinese culture to build out your general knowledge. This will help you to hold more natural conversations with native speakers.
Throughout the course, you’ll learn about a number of topics that will reinforce your language skills, from tourist attractions and the Chinese zodiac to common Chinese greetings and useful Chinese idioms.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify key categories of vocabulary
- Explore complex grammatical devices and structures
- Practice asking and answering conversational questions
- Produce simple sentences and short paragraphs
- Explore aspects of Chinese culture
- Develop general knowledge of China
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning the Chinese language. To benefit from this course, you will need an understanding of basic Chinese phonetics.
It is recommended that you complete the Contemporary Chinese 1 ExpertTrack first as it will give you the foundation you need for this course.
Who developed the course?
Chinese Plus lends support to domestic and foreign educational institutions, social organizations, and enterprises to take part in Online Chinese Class and set up localized platforms to conduct remote online Chinese education. It offers an all-in-one service package that includes online “teaching, learning, testing, and researching” as well as Chinese-centered online preparatory courses and “Chinese + vocational education” courses, among other services.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends