Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Instructional Design: Course Development
Learn how to successfully guide subject matter experts
Course development is the crux of effective online learning and how you guide subject matter experts (SMEs) is a crucial part of your role as an instructional designer.
On this three-week course, you will apply the essential tools in helping SMEs conceptualise and develop course content.
You’ll begin by identifying the key elements of a course map to help everyone involved understand what is expected from the course, and how to meet those expectations.
Create a learning management system (LMS) template
To help enhance the learning experience of a course, you’ll delve into the processes of a learning management system.
You’ll explore and compare different systems that can help deliver the administration, documentation, tracking, and delivery of your course. With this knowledge, you’ll select an LMS of your choice and use it to create a course template.
Understand the importance of quality review as an instructional designer
To ensure your course is of a high standard, you’ll investigate the tools you can use to measure the quality of a course.
This understanding will help you conduct a course quality review using different techniques to successfully evaluate your materials.
By the end of the course, led by experienced instructional designer Camille Funk, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to help SMEs develop courses effectively and efficiently.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify elements of a course map
- Create a template course in a selected LMS
- Evaluate tools that measures quality in a course
- Conduct a course quality review
Who is the course for?
This course is designed to guide instructional designers, new or experienced, through the course development process.
Who developed the course?
Established in 1962, the University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (UCI DCE) has served the lifelong learning needs of individuals, organizations, and the community on a local, regional, and global scale.
World rankingTop 100Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends