Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Instructional Design: Course Planning and Pedagogy
Set your course up for success using instructional design models and theories
Before any instructional designer can start developing a course, you need to ensure the course environment is set up and that you have the basic tools to facilitate the course design.
On this three-week course, you’ll learn how to master the course planning stage to ensure the success of the rest of the process.
You’ll unpack learning theories to gain a better understanding of how people learn and retain knowledge, and learn how to apply these techniques to your course.
You’ll also explore commonly used design models to help you achieve your instructional goals and facilitate learning.
Pin down your team structure for effective results
Choosing your team players is a crucial part of the course planning stage.
On the course, you’ll learn how to choose the right people for the different stages of course building.
With this forward planning, you can create a solid team where everyone understands their roles.
Learn the best practices for working with subject matter experts
To help extract your course information, you’ll learn tips for working with subject matter experts.
These best practices can also be applied to instructors and faculty to ensure you build strong relationships with everyone involved in the course making.
Discover vital project management strategies
You’ll delve into project management and learn the basic tools and strategies that will aid you in your course development.
Learning from Jean Marrapodi, an expert in her field of eLearning, you’ll benefit from her mentoring and specialist skills and finish with the knowledge to effectively plan your course.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your pedagogical approach to course design, by referencing mainstream learning theories
- Apply best practices for working with SMEs
- Identify project management strategies and tools to aid in course development
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for new or experienced instructional designers looking to further their skills. It may also be useful for educators who are looking to transition into a role as an instructional designer.
Who developed the course?
Established in 1962, the University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (UCI DCE) has served the lifelong learning needs of individuals, organizations, and the community on a local, regional, and global scale.
World rankingTop 100Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends