Understanding Depression and Low Mood in Young People
Learn how to recognise and help with depression and low mood in young people
Depression in teenagers can be long-lasting and have wide-ranging effects. Identifying such difficulties early on and offering appropriate support is key in bringing about positive change for young people. However parents and professionals are not always aware of key signs and symptoms of depression or what to do when teenagers are faced with such difficulties.
This course will help you to recognise low mood and depression in teens, understand CBT – an evidence based treatment, discover practical techniques to help support young people and, access sources of further advice.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: What does problematic low mood and depression look like?
- Recognising the symptoms and causes of depression in young people
- The impact on parents and carers
- Understanding self-harm and minimising risk
- Seeking help and treatment options
Week 2: Healthy habits for young people
- Identifying the foundations of good mental health
- Exploring the importance of sleep, eating, and physical activity
Week 3: Doing more of what matters
- Introducing the concept of behavioural activation for young people
- How to monitor activity and increase valued activities to get more reward from life
- How to manage different views of what is a valued activity
- Giving positive reinforcement and rewards
Week 4: Challenging thoughts
- How thinking tricks us and keeps us stuck in low mood
- Challenging thoughts
- Helping your child find the facts, face the facts
- Understanding that adults have negative thoughts too
Week 5: Family Communication & Self-Care, Planning for the Future and Getting More Help
- Looking after yourself
- Managing conflict
- Dealing with communication problems and stress
- Planning for the future, dealing with setbacks and solving problems
- Getting more help
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The course has been specifically created for parents of young people with depression and low mood, teachers and primary (or other) healthcare professionals who play a role in detecting mental health difficulties and offering appropriate support and guidance to young people.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLteendepression to talk about this course on social media.