Learn about Design Thinking with Samsung and discover how you can use tech to help redesign the future of education.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Designing a Future Where Learning is a Lifestyle
Learn how you can reshape education
Education is in a state of flux like never before. After a year of disruptions, it feels more timely than ever for us to reimagine what the future of education could and should look like.
On this course, you’ll hear from a range of passionate experts from the UK including Dragons’ Den judge, author, and social media entrepreneur Steven Bartlett alongside Ebinehita Iyere (Founder of Milk and Honey Bees), André Anderson (Headmaster of Freedom & Balance) and Jesse Hirsh (Futurist speaker and researcher).
Reflect on education today and how it affects you
On the course, experts will provide an overview of the current education landscape and pose critical questions to explore the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. What role can technology play in enabling a more inclusive and participatory education?
You’ll also be invited to reflect on your own educational journey to discover what proactive role you can play in changing the future of education.
Explore the fundamentals of design thinking to build solutions
Through the course, you’ll also get to grips with the fundamentals of Design Thinking – a non-linear and iterative process used by many technology companies like Samsung to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
From designing your own learning community to overcoming personal barriers to learning, our experts will share their own experiences in building practical solutions.
You’ll come away educated and inspired to drive change for yourselves, your community, and the world.
Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow
This course forms part of Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow programme, offering young people a chance to explore the role tech can play in solving some of society’s biggest issues.
Design the future. No qualifications needed.
Explore the world of education
Welcome to the course
In this activity you’ll meet Samsung and the team of experts guiding you through this course including Solve for Tomorrow Education Ambassador - Steven Bartlett. You’ll also start to unpack the big theme of ‘Education’.
The change starts with you
In this activity, Ebinehita Iyere will draw on her experience in the UK to give you an overview of challenges in education today and the potential effects this may have on a generation of young people.
How to redesign learning
In this activity, André Anderson (Headmaster of Freedom & Balance) shares creative exercises the team at Freedom & Balance have used to redesign the concept of education and school.
In this first activity you’ll be guided through an Introduction to Design Thinking, exploring what it means to have a Design Thinking mindset before mastering the process to help you bring your ideas to life.
How to hack the future and level up your learning
In this next activity you’ll learn how to hack the future and level up your learning using technology with expert Jesse Hirsh.
Putting Design Thinking into practice
In this final activity, you’ll be putting the Design Thinking principles you learnt about earlier into action.
In this final activity you’ll recap on what you’ve covered in this course and find out about ways to continue your learning journey and #DesignTheFuture with Samsung’s #SolveForTomorrow.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on the current landscape of education and how it relates to you today.
- Explore the challenges and opportunities that technology brings to redesigning the future of education.
- Understand the fundamentals and importance of empathetic design thinking.
- Identify and ideate your own tangible actions and solutions to transform the way we learn.
Who is the course for?
This course would appeal to young people aged 16-25 from across the UK who are passionate about education and the possibilities of technology in solving pressing world issues.
Samsung are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.