Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Building Design: Material Selection for Healthier Communities
Explore the design principles for choosing healthier materials
In building design, there is no perfect product – so how do designers make the best choice for healthier materials? On this three-week course, you’ll address this dilemma and gain an understanding of how designers identify and evaluate healthier materials.
You’ll take a deep dive into the strategies and guiding principles for designers and what healthier materials design looks like.
Within this, you’ll explore the current challenges and opportunities in the design, architecture, and construction industries.
Learn the process behind building healthier communities
As you approach healthier materials design, you’ll look at the fundamental goals and principles of the material health process.
Exploring material properties, design qualities, and operational considerations, you’ll understand how a designer comes to choose healthier materials. Within this, you’ll discover how designers can be participants and advocates for social justice.
Explore healthier built environments
On the final week of the course, you’ll explore the process of finding and evaluating healthier products for the built environment.
Within this, you’ll unpack the role of the retailer and how retailers can contribute to transforming the market for healthier materials.
Guided by the experts at Parsons School of Design’s Healthy Materials Lab, you’ll finish the course with the knowledge of how designers make informed decisions to create healthier built environments.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Classify metrics for health goals based on specific audiences and design needs
- Evaluate design options and materials against specific criteria
- Model informed decision making about design and materials based on context and comparison
- Explain who vulnerable populations are and why its important to consider them in building design
- Describe the role of key players in the built environment
- Explore the future of healthier built environments
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in how health and sustainability are interconnected with the built environment.
It will be particularly useful for those working, or planning to one day work in, in design, or passionate about materials design processes.
Who developed the course?
For more than a century, Parsons School of Design has been inspired by the transformative potential of design. Today, the school’s groundbreaking academic programs carry forward that mission, making Parsons the number one design school in the U.S. and among the top three globally. At the heart of a comprehensive university — The New School — Parsons draws on a range of academic fields to deliver a uniquely interdisciplinary education enriched by the resources of its home in New York City
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends