Why join the course?
The number of people with diabetes type-2 is rising rapidly and the global health economic impact is massive. Rising rates of type 2 diabetes may relate to increasing obesity, an aging population, changes to diet and adoption of more sedentary behaviours. There is a need to increase awareness about diabetes prevention, potential complications and treatment amongst the general public and health care providers.
This course aims to provide accessible material that emphasises the human element and self-care aspects of living with this chronic condition. It will facilitate learning through interactive media and peer discussion to enhancing knowledge around how diabetes develops, potential treatments, associated disease complications, global challenges, quality care and self-management practices.
This course is brought to you by a unique partnership between:
The University of Dundee, a world leader in medical education, diabetes research, quality diabetes patient care and health informatics.
NHS Scotland MyDiabetesMyWay, the award winning NHS Scotland online self-management portal for patients and carers
With contributions from:
- Diabetes Scotland, the national diabetes charity, working as an advocate for patients and health care providers.
What topics will you cover?
Reflecting on the growing global epidemic of diabetes, potential causes and priorities for health improvement to:
- Gain an understanding of the personal impact of a diagnosis of diabetes
- Gain understanding about the different types of diabetes and the basic pathophysiology of what causes them, with a focus on type 2 diabetes
- Evaluate the broad options for treatment in different types of diabetes
- Recognise the common complications associated with diabetes and the rationale behind screening for early detection of complications
- Explore the concept of modern long term condition management, patient self care and personalised treatment in contrast to traditional medical management approaches.
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript $79.00
Statement of Participation $54.00
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLdiabetes to talk about this course on social media.