Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $74
Digital Tools for Efficient Clinical Trials
Learn how digital tools can be used throughout clinical trials
This four-week clinical trials course is designed to create awareness about the availability and use of digital tools for the recruitment and retention of participants within clinical trials.
You’ll explore the key tools for recruitment and retention, how they are used and their overall advantages and limitations.
Develop an understanding of what digital tools are
You’ll firstly develop an understanding of what digital tools are and how they are used within the context of clinical trials.
You’ll then evaluate examples of digital tools that have been used for recruitment and retention of participants within clinical trials.
Identify ways in which digital tools could be used to support clinical trials
You’ll then identify the ways in which digital tools can be used to support clinical trials, and will explore the evidence for the effectiveness of digital tools.
You’ll then discuss the aspects that a researcher would need to consider if they intend to use one of these tools, and identify useful further information to discover further.
Learn with clinical trial experts from the University of Southampton
Throughout the duration of the course, you’ll be under the guidance of Jacqui Nuttall, Head of Trial Management in the Southampton Clinical Trials Unit, and Giorgos Dritsakis, a trial manager and lead researcher in the same unit.
The course will draw heavily on research findings from an NIHR-funded (National Institute for Health Research) project on research using technology in clinical trials. The team has an internationally-recognised reputation in understanding the development of successful clinical trials, and you’ll be able to engage with stakeholders throughout the process.
Learning on this course
If you'd like to take part while our educators are leading the course, they'll be joining the discussions, in the comments, between these dates:
- 18 Oct 2021 - 14 Nov 2021
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an understanding of what we mean by 'digital tools' for clinical trials
- Discuss examples of digital tools that have been used for recruitment and retention of participants in clinical trials
- Identify ways in which digital tools could be used to support clinical trials
- Evaluate the evidence for the effectiveness of different tools
- Explore what a researcher might need to consider when planning to use digital tools in clinical trials
- Collect ideas on where to find useful further information
- Reflect upon how digital tools might be useful in your own context and share experiences with others
- Investigate how to evaluate digital tools as a study within a trial to build on an evidence base.
Who is the course for?
This course is primarily intended for staff in clinical trial units (CTUs), Research Design Services (RDSs), monitoring staff in the NIHR Evaluation, Trials and Studies Coordinating Centre (NTSCC), National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) grant applicants, funding board members, referees and other professionals involved in clinical trials.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.