- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Disaster Interventions and the Need for Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
Evaluate the need for accountability and its importance to disaster management
Disasters and armed conflicts cause severe long-term consequences around the world. Addressing public and civil accountability can help reduce the effects of these disasters.
On this course, you will have the opportunity to consider disaster interventions by looking at the organisations involved and the people who work in them, and what they do to deliver effective, professional interventions in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian situations.
- Discuss how organisational processes and practices outside of disaster intervention organisations might be used to improve interventions
- Introduce governance as a set of interconnected organisational systems, processes and external architecture for implementing projects
- Use a fictional example to investigate what it takes to provide an effective, efficient and appropriate intervention
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the historical evolution of monitoring, evaluation and accountability
- Explain and define accountability in disaster management
- Experiment with relevant accountability tools and mechanisms
- Identify why we need accountability in disaster management
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to learn more about monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning in disaster management. It is ideal for learners from an academic or professional background in humanitarian disaster management, as well as policymakers, researchers, and students.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
The world is changing and so are the types and levels of disasters and conflicts. Explore the topics of disaster intervention, evaluation and learning.